Monday, February 21, 2011

600 lb Mom (tv show)

I DVRd "600 Lb Mom" last night. I've had it on my calendar for a long time. I hope it's a happy story, unlike "Half Ton Mom" (she had WLS, then died anyway, and she was young, I think 29).
This mom is named Dominique Lanoise (that's how the captions spell it).   Apparently she sits around in bed completely naked.  She has boobs that make me look flat.  I can't stand to be sitting up and braless and having them flop around like two dead whales hanging from my chest--I always wear a sports or leisure bra if I'm upright for that reason.  I can't tell if she has wicked bad lymphedema in her legs or if it's all just fat.  Probably some of both.  And her upper arms, again, she makes my giant bingo wings look like finch wings.
She has 6 kids (none of them obese).  She's the same height as me and about the same age.  Those poor kids have to wash their mom in bed, between all the horrible folds--and I know, because although I was never close to her in weight, I had some folds going.  The kids miss school and are up all night caring for her because Dominique can't breathe due to the weight on her neck and chest.
Supposedly she ate 4,000 calories a day to get there.  That's a lot, yeah, more than twice as much as a lady should eat, but I don't know how long it took to get there.  She says she's 600-700 lbs, doesn't really know, but she says it's not what she eats, that she has a "gland growing" (whatever that means).  Her daughters find a hospital to care for her, but Dominique's quest is for liposuction ("a tube" to "suck out" her fat, she says).
The hospital sends 3 ambulances with 6 crew and a giant gurney for her, but it doesn't fit in the house, and so there's the humiliation of being dragged outside on a frigging tarp, except that she doesn't even fit in her own hallway--neighbors staring to see how big this hidden woman is. All this for a simple WEIGH-IN to see if she's over or under 500 lbs.  Under 500, she can get what the show says is "aggressive weight loss surgery."
(As an aside, I can't tell if she has a pierced lower lip or she has a weird and horrible wart on her chin, but it's very distracting.  There's another thing on her nose that could be a growth/zit or another stud and on the area between her nose and upper lip.)
Of course, she is over 500 and she has to go onto a diet to lose the extra weight, and she says that she can't do it, and basically gives up.   A home-visiting bariatric doctor visits her and she gives up a food diary saying she eats once a day, soup and crackers and lemon juice.  Except that they SHOW her eating fried seafood and talking about how great seafood tastes, with piles of what looks like some kind of "dirty rice".  (The show  ignores the dicotomy.) The doctor says she will be on 750 calories a day, delivered pre-cooked to the house--a new bed that will weigh her is part of the program.
Tests show she has pulmonary edema and her BMI is 101. I feel fat at less than HALF that BMI.
When the diet food comes, she refuses to eat it. One meal looks like soup, steamed veggies, and a quiche or omelet.  She squeezes the omelet and complains that "water" is coming out of it. "It's not grease, it's water, I can't eat it." So she only eats food that is dripping with grease?  And she says "I don't know where this food come from."  (The service the doctor set up, maybe?)  On top of that, she takes 5 prescription diet pills per day rather than 2.  She doesn't want to do the upper body exercises he shows her either.
She lies to the doctor about what she eats, and she ends up gaining weight on her diet (even after she throws out her daughters for not giving her non-diet food).
Wow.  Totally NOT inspiring.  Except as a form of "don't do that."

(image source)


If you are reading this ANYWHERE but on itsafatlife.blogspot.com, it's stolen; please let me know. wholelottarosieyoung at yahoo dot com. Thank you.

24 comments:

FatGirl said...

I totally agree.. she was so far gone. There was no saving her. Im so glad I am making the changes now.. and I didn't feel so bad about myself after watching that. I am more then willing ot make changes to better my life.. I KNOW a pill won't fix my problem or lipo, or anything other than hard work and determintaion.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you could post the video some how?

Anonymous said...

omg ya'll, I watched that show and I was disgusted by her way of living like how can a human being be so pathetic I'm not trying to be so judgemental but like that was too much, poor girls were trying to help her lose weight so that she can get liposuction but she's an idiot idk but anywho god bless her and her kids

Rosie said...

You may be able to find the video, or a clip, on the TLC website.

Elle said...

Is this woman for real ??? Waouh !! I was speechless while reading it. It feels like you're talking about some type of horrible movie.

Rosie said...

Elle, what makes it so horrible and sad is that it was totally real. I can only hope someone who is housebound/bedbound by their fat in Miami sees the show and calls those same doctors for help and is saved. I watched the show again with a friend and she was outraged to see that all that was offered to this woman was basically thrown away.

Anonymous said...

That's not a wart on her chin. That's a piercing. She has multiple piercings on her face. God only knows why.

Anonymous said...

I feel badly for anyone who's so overweight but her attitude was so negative. She just wanted a quick fix surgery so that she didn't have to put out any effort herself.

She treated her daughters as if they were her maids. She owes it to her daughters to make an effort to lose weight or she'll be dead sometime in the next few years.

I also wonder how much of our tax money is going to support this woman and her food intake.

Anonymous said...

DOMINIQUE LAUGHED DURING THE WHOLE SHOW. SEEMED AS IF SHE COULDN'T CARE LESS. SHE LIED SO MUCH ON CAMERA. I ONLY FEEL SORRY FOR HER DAUGHTERS - TO HAVE A MOM WHO JUST LAUGHS ABOUT SUCH A SERIOUS SITUATION. SHE KEPT SAYING "I DONT KNOW HOW I EVER GOT FAT" AND THEN THEY SHOW HER POUNDING DOWN ALL THIS FOOD. THE SHOW WAS A JOKE!!!

Empress said...

This really made me sad. I immediately jumped out of bed and began jogging...I exercised for the entire show, then contemplated taking a walk around the neighborhood. It is truly sad. I did look skinny in the mirror, after looking at her, but the tragedy is that her girls are stuck taking care of her, and she has little to no regard for what she's doing to herself, or them...very emotional indeed!

Anonymous said...

There by the grace of God, go I... I watched the show and suspect she may have some cognitive limitations. Obviously there's a gap between her eating and her thinking, but seems like there's a disconnect between her view of herself and her thinking. While in hospital, she was flirting with a cute doctor--telling him she's not gonna die cuz she's too sexy. She also said, she wanted surgery so she could be skinny. I know people can be in denial/delusional, but she just seemed to be more impaired than delusional. I pray for her and her daughters.

fawkoff said...

to alllll of yall dhats old she is hell a skinny no and you wanna know why cuz she tried 4 her youngest daughter andi u wanna ask me how i know cuz dhat if all of the daughters went 2 my church so shut da fawk up and get a life cuz yall not any betta

Anonymous said...

@ "fawkoff":

Learn to spell and your comment might actually be intelligible.

There is no way this woman can change unless she changes her way of thinking. She needs some serious education and an attitude adjustment. Get those kids away from her so she has to either fend for herself or get real help.

Dennis said...

This poor woman was brought here from Haiti and married at 14 and I think that there is a great deal of arrested development with her. And our American cuisine didn't help her at all ..She doesn't take it seriously because I don't think she actually realizes how serious this is, even now...I hope something can be done for her but I'm afraid that she won't make the necessary changes required to help herself.

CH said...

Fawkoff, Your comments are nasty and ignorant. You need a dictionary and a shrink.

I lost 200 pounds - how? Gastric by pass surgery, a NEW MINDSET, CalorieKing and my elliptical machine.

Liposuction and weight loss surgery are only tools. The key to losing weight and keeping it off is weighing, measuring EVERYTHING before you put it in your mouth and EXERCISE.

Dominique may be a nice person but until her daughters STOP TEASING HER WITH JUNK FOOD and she decides to get serious she will continue to be a fat hog.

I really felt Dominique's brain was already showing signs of deterioration due to the amount of heart disease which is caused by a "southern diet" (and I'm from the south honey).

Anyone that has a weight problem MUST adhere to a low fat diet.

If her loved ones really loved her, they would not eat pizza, fried chicken or any other crap food in her house. The one daughter, looked a lot like Dominique and was getting a little chubby as well. The youngest (the dancer) was thin. The best gift one can give their child is the gift of them seeing you eating healthy.

Mindset is everything. GBPS is not a solution, simply a tool.

And you are what you eat.

Anonymous said...

Fawkoff your post (and name) is quite ignorant and uneducated. You need a dictionary and new mindset.

One, Dominique's daughters were all walking in there and eating crap food in front of her, that's mean and not supportive.

Two, Gastric By Pass Surgery is a tool, nothing more, nothing less.

If one does not get a whole new mindset, a whole new way of looking at food, one will gain it all back and more.

I know I was 315 pounds at 5'3". I had a gastric by pass and lost 115 pounds, that still left me with another 80 pounds to loose.

If you know Dominique and she is still alive, have her buy CalorieKing Food Manager Program.

I weigh, measure and log in EVERYTHING BEFORE I put it in my mouth.

Also, instead of a new couch, have her buy a elliptical machine and after each meal, do simply as much as she can do, trying to work up to 15 minutes after each meal, that will jump start a sluggish metabolism. As one ages your body metabolism slows down and you require LESS FOOD. :(

I wish Dominique the best and will pray for her, but she has got to change her mindset first or she will die.

MayQueen23 said...

If the point of this post was to make you seem like a douchebag, congratulations you succeeded. It seems like all you did was say "oh wow compared to her, my huge fat a$$ looks thin. Wow now I feel better about myself because I made fun of someone else." As a fat woman you of all people should know better than to be so rude, shame on you and grow up.

Rosie said...

Mayqueen23, thanks for your opinion on my opinion. If you think I'm a such a douchebag for retelling what a tv show depicted, and comparing it to my own life and situation, don't read my blog.
-Rosie

Gabby101 said...

I just watched both episodes tonight and I agree that this lady was "challenged." She couldn't understand even the most basic weight management rules - she thought eating one GIANT fattening meal a day would help her lose weight because it was just one meal. I thought the saddest part of this show was that everyone treated her like she was normal and was actually able to make good and informed decisions. One of the reasons that doctors require patients to lose weight before weight loss surgery is because they want to make sure they can comply with rules. GB surgery is not magic, you have to limit your eating after surgery or you will return to your previous size (or die trying). It should have been obvious, that this women would never succeed after surgery.

I was also disturbed by the fact that she called the police to kick her underage children out of the house and no one thought anything of it. The children were missing school to take care of her - surely, this is not ok, right?

Anonymous said...

Sadly she has passed on and by her own hand and will along with the ones who enabled her by bringing her all the food. I pray her next time on the planet she will be more loving of herself.n

Anonymous said...

this is so sad. make all the negative fat comments you want but this is truly a mental illness and should have been treated as such before preperation for diet and surgery.no one truly would do that to themselves unless they were sick.god bless her.no one knows what it is like to walk in anothers shoes and i find alot of holier than thou comments on this site.

Anonymous said...

This was such a sad story. I was surprised that no one tried to address her obvious intellectual limitations and possible mental health issues that were separate from her weight issues. She seemed to be functioning at the intellectual level of a small child. I think the doctors' expectations were too high for her. She needed to be someplace where someone could make decisions for her that she was not able to make for herself. It seemed like asking a 5 year old to make adult decisions.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with MayQueen23, most of the comment here are far sadder than Dominique situation.

Scam

Anonymous said...

HOW OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE CAN BE DISGUSTED BY OTHERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM IS TRUELY WIERD AND CRUEL
]
WHEN YOURE IN THE MOMENT THINGS FEEL GOOD LIKE EATING FOOD THAT TASTES GOOD

IT TAKES A LOT OF IMATINATION AND EXPERIENTATION TO MAKE HEALTHIER FOOD TASTE GOOD YOU HAVE TO GO INTO A MINDSET THAT YOUVE GOT TO DO IT FOR A WHILE TO LOSE WEIGHT AND that SOMEDAY YOU WILL EAT SOME DELICIOUS FOOD AGAIN - MAYBE ONE DAY OF EATING WHAT YOU WANT EVERY 2 WEEKS OR 2 MEALS A WEEK OF WHAT YOU WANT THEN BACK AGAIN TO EATING HEALTY THINGS

KKKKK AAAAA RRRRR MMMMMM AAAAAAA

KARMA PEOPLE KARMA

WATCH - OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!